HOW TO GET TO Chania
Crete is the largest island in Greece and the fifth largest one in the Mediterranean Sea. Here, you can admire the remnants of brilliant civilizations, explore glorious beaches, impressive mountains capes, fertile valleys, and steep gorges, and become part of the island’s rich gastronomic culture. Crete is, after all, a small universe teeming with beauties and treasures that you will probably need a lifetime to uncover!
Crete: “Sense the authentic” – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxkc-02Tw-M
The easiest way to get to the island of Crete is by direct flight to one of the two International Airports on the island. The two International airports are the “International Airport of Heraklion Nikos Kazantzakis” (HER) in Heraklion and the “International Airport of Chania Ioannis Daskalogiannis” (CHQ) in Chania. The Airport of Heraklion is 7km far from the city center (Heraklion), and the Airport of Chania is 14km away from the city center (Chania). For the purposes of the EEITE Conference is strongly suggested to search for flights to International Airport of Chania ‘Ioannis Daskalogiannis’. The distance between Heraklion and Chania is about 150 km. Many major international carriers operate with direct flights to Chania (till October). From the airport of Chania there is a public bus service but also a taxi service to the city center.
If a convenient direct flight to Chania cannot be found, there is an option to fly via Athens International Airport ‘Eleftherios Venizelos’. There are four (starting at 08:05 AM and the last one at 22:45) daily direct flights operated by the Aegean Airlines from Athens to Chania and four daily flights (the first one at 06:45 and the last one at 21.10) used by Sky Express to Chania. However is strongly advices to check the provided links to plan your trip.
Another alternative is to fly to Athens and then travel to Crete by boat. You can take a bus from Athens International Airport to Piraeus port. You can take the boat and enjoy the Aegean Sea while traveling from Piraeus to Chania (Souda Port). The trip lasts about six hours, and the schedules and operators can be found here:
- Piraeus to Chania (Souda)/ Chania (Souda) to Piraeus: https://www.minoan.gr/en/chania-piraeus
- Piraeus to Chania (Souda)/ Chania (Souda) to Piraeus: https://www.anek.gr/en/routes/
- Piraeus to Souda/ Souda to Piraeus: https://www.superfast.com/en-gb
From the Souda Port you can pick up the public bus to the Chania City Center or pick up a taxi.
It is strongly advised to reserve your trip well in advance.
ACCOMODATION in Chania.
We suggest to reserve your accommodation nearby the Department (Chalepa area) and thus one of your first options should be:
- Halepa Hotel (10 minutes walking distance from the Department)
- Villa Andromeda (15 minutes walking distance from the Department).
- Irida Hotel (15 minutes walking distance from the Department)
- Hotel Akrotiri (15 minutes walking distance)
HOW TO GET TO the Department of Electronic Engineering, HMU.
In case you have reserved in one of the Accommodation options have suggested above, you can walk to the Department. In different case you can use the public bus (bus number 11 – ask to take you down in bus station named ‘Evagelistria’). The bus tickets can be purchased in the bus station or by the driver. Another option is to take a taxi and reach the Department of Electronic Engineering of the Hellenic Mediterranean University (ex TEI of Crete) (Romanou 3, Chalepa, Chania, Crete).
However in case you have reserved a different accommodation within the city center, you can walk along the coast and reach the Department within half an hour walking distance. Operate your google maps and is impossible do not find it. The link of the department in google maps is the following: https://goo.gl/maps/6V88fN6evnhDQeiYA.
PLACES TO EAT in CHANIA.
Please find below the links to some suggested restaurants in the Chania City to enjoy the local, international and the Greek cuisine.
1. Thalasino Ageri Seafood Restaurant – check it here.
2. Mesogeiako Restaurant (Mediterranean Cuzine) – check it here.
3. Tamam Restaurant (Middle East Cuzine) – check here.
5. The Well of the Turk (Middle East and Mediterranean Cuzine) – check it here.
ABOUT City of Chania.
Chania in Crete, Greece, is the hometown and resting place of Eleftherios Venizelos, and is one of the most beautiful cities in Greece. A city of many tales, ancient, old and contemporary, Greek and yet not only. Chania is one of the most appealing and worldwide popular tourist destinations of Greece, attracting every year, all year round, thousands of visitors and faithful lovers who repeatedly return to this mistress/city that has been so generously blessed by nature and densely woven by history. To discover more click here.
PLACES TO VISIT in Chania.
There are several websites where you can find information on the places you can visit in Chania and Crete. You can follow this link to plan your activities beyond the meetings & other actions hours. Let us suggest to you some links that may facilitate your search:
History & Archeological Sites.
- Eletherios Venizelos House – please check here.
- Archaeological Museum of Chania – please check here.
- Maritime Museum of Crete – please check here.
- Botanic Park & Gardens of Crete – please check here.
Beaches in Chania.
- Agioi Apostoloi Beach (15 minutes with the car) – check here.
- Kalathas Beach (20 minutes with the car) – check here.
- Marathi Beach (20 minutes with the car) – check here.
- Stavros Beach (25 minutes with the car) – check here.
- Falaserna Beach (67 minutes with the car) – check here.
- Balos Beach (84 minutes with the car) – check here.
For more information on other beaches in Chania, please check here.
WORKING HOURS of SHOPS in CHANIA.
- Public Offices: Monday – Friday 7:30 – 15:00
- Post Offices: Monday-Friday 7:30 – 14:00
- Banks: Monday – Thursday 8:00 – 14:30 and Friday 8:00 – 13:30
- Shops are open on Monday and Wednesday: 9:00 – 15:00, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday: 9:00 – 14:00 and 17:30 – 21:00, and Saturday: 9:00 – 15:00.
- Although pharmacies have variable working hours, they are usually open from 08:00 to 14:00 on Monday and Wednesdays. On Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, they are also open from 17:30 to 21:00. There are also pharmacies that are open 24 hours and at weekends. You can find the lists of them on the doors of all pharmacies.
National Emergency Center: 166
Emergency Hospitals, Pharmacies, Doctors: 14944
Fire Brigade: 199
Touristic Police: 171
Emergency Intervention of the Port Authority: 108
European Emergency Number: 112